Broken Pipes - Everything You Need to Know Before Calling an Expert
A burst pipe can cause significant damage within a very short time. If you are looking at a frozen pipe, remember that water expands in volume by 9 per cent with great force. The pipe simply can’t sustain the pressure and so it breaks open. Unless you happen to be a plumber, you will want to call one immediately.
Follow these simple steps:
- Find your water main and shut it off immediately.
- Safety first. If you have ceilings ready to drop, stay clear of the area.
- Shut off the electricity if the water is seeping into any of your wiring.
- Open a faucet to help relieve the remaining pressure.
- Put a bucket under the leak if possible.
- Start your clean up. Get out the mops and buckets, the wet vac or anything you have and start getting rid of any water you can. The quicker the better to help reduce the spread of the damage and prevent mold.
- Set up any fans to blow warm air into the impacted rooms.
- Open doors to closets and pantries to let air in and give it a chance to dry.
- Clean up any obvious damage as soon as you can.
- Review your insurance policy and call your agent.
- Call SERVPRO a water damage specialist AT 352-735-3311