Common Appliances that potentially can cause fires
- Dishwashers. Have you ever opened your dishwasher immediately after it finished its cycle? The heat that shoots out when you open the door can be overwhelming. A dishwasher contains heating elements that dry your dishes. These heating elements get wet, heat up, and cool down every time you use the dishwasher. Old or faulty elements can start a fire. Never turn on a dishwasher before leaving your home. While it's nice to return to clean dishes at the end of the day, it's not worth the risk.
- Dryers. Lint buildup in a dryer and the importance of cleaning it often. If a Dryer is not cleaned regularly, there is a higher risk of a fire.
- Microwaves. Microwaves are very convenient. Warming up leftover meals can be a big timesaver when the family schedule is hectic. They also can be very dangerous. There have been many complaints about microwaves starting on their own and causing a fire. If you hear your microwave running, and you didn't turn it on, unplug it immediately. Microwaves: a fire hazard in your kitchen
- Refrigerators. One might never think of a refrigerator being a fire risk; however, an overheated compressor or an electrical short can cause fires. In addition, a light that stays on all the time can be hazardous.
- Toasters. In 1913, Westinghouse debuted the first two-sided toaster. Toasters have electric elements inside that are used to brown your bread or bagel. If the toaster fails and doesn't turn off, a fire can start. Never leave a toaster unsupervised and remove the crumbs on the bottom of the toaster regularly. In addition, inspect the electric elements for stuck crumbs.