Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A fire can be an emotional and traumatic experience for any property owner. We at SERVPRO of Lake County want to help restore order and get you back to your daily life and business fast!
Follow these DO’s and DON’Ts to help reduce additional damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration.
*Limit movement in the affected area to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery or carpet
*Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
*Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
Leave HVAC system off until a trained professional can check the system.
*Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces prior to contacting us here at SERVPRO of Lake County
*Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered surfaces prior to contacting us at SERVPRO of Lake County
*Attempt to clean any electrical appliances (example: toasters, microwaves, stoves, computers, televisions and other office equipment) that may have been close the fire, heat or water; without consulting with an authorized repair service.
*Consume any food or beverage that may have been stored close to the fire, heat or water.
*Turn on any ceiling fixtures - if the ceiling is wet or has fire damage. Wiring may be wet or damaged and could cause electrical shock or create secondary damage.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (352) 735-3311
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.